Monday, April 18, 2011

Lemon Poppyseed... Muffins...

Just this once, I had to bake muffins instead of cookies because we are leaving on Tuesday and even my family, (who eats cookies at maximum speed) cannot eat a whole batch of cookies that fast. So, I made Lemon Poppyseed muffins from this special little recipe.
Either I did this wrong, or the glaze for this is TERRIBLE! It is basically sticky lemon juice dumped onto of a muffin. It is plain, white, granulated sugar and lemon juice. The sugar dissolves, and then you are left with really sweet lemon juice.
Have you ever poured lemon juice on top of a muffin? Well, I don't suggest it, because muffins have round tops, and so then the lemon juice will slide right off it into the muffin tin. That is what happens in this recipe. I don't know if the person  who wrote it meant powdered sugar or not, but that's what I should have used. When I added powdered sugar, it was too late.
Anyways, some glaze stuck and hardened into a sticky glaze, but I got a lot in the tin.
Aside from the complete glaze debacle, the muffins were okay. They didn't jump out at my taste buds and say "YUM YUM MORE!" they said something more like, "Yummy, this muffin's pretty good, but I would rather have chocolate." Although, the reason for this speaking might be because I used healthy sugar. (By healthy sugar, I mean non-sugar sugar, like Splenda.)

Here are other opinions from my family:
My mom says: They tasted just like poppy seed muffins with sugar, but they needed perhaps a bit more lemon.
Ethan: Good. (Why do I even bother putting in his comments?)

Okay, I will confess, the reason why they don't have enough lemon in them MIGHT be because I had to add a handful of water to the bater to make it have enough moisture. I don't know enough to be able to say if that would dilute the lemon taste. If you make this recipe you must follow the directions EXACTLY! when it says "Do not over-mix!" I now interpret that to mean, put the dry ingredients in and mix ONCE! (I mixed two or three times because I was taught to not put two cups of flour in at once.)
Overall, I think this recipe is okay, and I would give it 3 stars. (I took away one star just for the glaze.)

(Pictures will come momentarily...)

No comments:

Post a Comment